SEN Teaching Assistant
Employer: Harris Federation
Location: Not Specified
Job Type: Permanent
Contract Type: Permanent
Working With Us
Our vision at Harris Academy Peckham is to ensure every child achieves excellence in all aspects of academy life. We have high aspirations, both in terms of academic standards and personal development, in order to prepare your child for the demands of the 21st century global workplace. We expect every child to excel, and will provide the necessary challenge and support to make this happen.
In line with all Harris Academies, we ensure that we prepare engaging and innovative learning experiences for our students, within a disciplined context where good manners, smart uniform and mature conduct are expected from all.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supervising and supporting identified students in 1:1, group or whole class situations, ensuring their safety and access to learning in a purposeful and supportive learning environment.
- Assisting in developing resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with the teacher to ensure the provision supports learning needs.
- Assisting in evaluating identified students’ progress and providing feedback on their achievements, progress and needs.
- Leading small group sessions and interventions as appropriate.
- Attending to students’ personal needs where required.
- Supporting with behaviour management.
- Undertaking learning activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities to ensure achievement of learning goals.
- Assisting with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including playtimes and undertaking lunchtime duty.
- Supporting students with their learning and development in respect of local and national learning strategies.
- Preparing the classroom for lessons, clearing afterwards and assisting with the display of students’ work.
- Preparing and maintaining resources and assisting students in their use.
- Undertaking record keeping as requested.
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with parents/carers, gathering and reporting information as directed.
- Providing administrative support as required.
- Accompanying teaching staff and students on visits, trips and off site activities as required.
What We are Looking For
The successful candidate will have:
- Qualifications to degree level or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of SEND and learning barriers
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English
- Good administrative and organisational skills
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work effectively with team members across a wide range of levels and responsibilities
- Good ICT skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft packages and the ability to update records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised
- Flexibility of approach to work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercising tact and diplomacy
Applying for this Position
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan, electric car scheme, and many other benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our website.
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY NOW button. You will be re-directed to the advertiser of the vacancy where you can submit your job application.
Note to Job Seekers:
Apply for this job vacancy via the GovernorHelp job board today. You can find other jobs in Not Specified with our simple job search features. Don’t forget to follow GovernorHelp on Twitter. GovernorHelp is here to provide help for school governors and support for education leaders. Remember to try our helpful G-Bot chatbot tool which helps you answer your governance questions and save time on your admin tasks. Thanks for using GovernorHelp and good luck with your job search!