Head of Faculty Leeds & Manchester
Employer: BPP University
Job Type: Permanent
Contract Type: Permanent
Ensure an excellent student experience at BPP Law School
The Law School is looking for outstanding individuals with strong people skills to lead and manage the school’s faculty tutors.
Working with the Director of Staffing, the successful candidate will have overall responsibility for the ‘life cycle’ of faculty members from recruitment to end of employment. This will include oversight of faculty workload, tracking and management of faculty training and development, conducting performance and career development meetings, monitoring and managing performance and compliance with HR policies and procedures, in addition to the management of faculty well-being and career development.
What you’ll be doing
Head of Faculty
- Work with the Director of Staffing and Group HR to recruit new members of faculty working with key stakeholders from both within the School and the BPP group as a whole, to ensure the smooth on-boarding, induction and probation of new faculty
- Work with key stakeholders to recruit, on-board and manage freelance tutors, including the conduct of tutor observations
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty member reports and take actions necessary to address issues, escalating matters as required
- Work with key stakeholders to set and monitor targets for faculty, identifying any performance or capability issues and putting plans in place to address them
- Liaise closely with the Resource Planning Team with an oversight of faculty workload raising any issues or requests regarding workload in line with operating efficiency and the wellbeing of faculty
- Work with the Head of Training and Development and others in the training team as required to co-ordinate and track academic scholarship activity for all teaching faculty
- Conduct Performance and Career Development conversations, track and help to guide the career development and training of faculty members
- Work with the training team to ensure that tutor observations (new tutor, peer and management) are conducted and escalate issues for intervention as required
- Put in place training plans for all faculty within the School, specific to their individual training needs and work with the training team and L&D to ensure delivery
- Lead on initiatives to develop and retain talent and improve working life within the School and BPP as a whole
- When required will assist with marking/assessments/teaching cover
- Ideally educated to degree-level, however applications from candidates with appropriate and relevant work experience or other equivalent qualifications will also be considered
- Extensive operational experience, with the demonstrable ability to manage several projects at the same time
- Experience of working in a people management role
- Experience of negotiation with and managing different stakeholders
- Experience in a high performance environment
- Ability to manage risks and to respond to issues quickly and effectively
- High level communication skills with the ability to represent the law school business in different contexts (e.g university committees, internal meetings);
- Strong people skills and ability to manage challenging situations (mentoring, collaboration, advocacy and negotiation)
- An interest in the well-being of others
- Ability to have a ‘difficult’ conversation and manage the performance of tutors
- Ability to set up processes with appropriate KPIs and ensure they are managed end to end
- Ability to work with data to support decision-making and activity
- The ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload.
- The ability to lead and take the initiative.
- A broad understanding of HR legislation or experience of a legal environment would be beneficial, but is not essential
- Experience of the HE sector would be beneficial
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY NOW button. You will be re-directed to the advertiser of the vacancy where you can submit your job application.
Note to Job Seekers:
Apply for this job vacancy via the GovernorHelp job board today. You can find other jobs in Manchester with our simple job search features. Don’t forget to follow GovernorHelp on Twitter. GovernorHelp is here to provide help for school governors and support for education leaders. Remember to try our helpful G-Bot chatbot tool which helps you answer your governance questions and save time on your admin tasks. Thanks for using GovernorHelp and good luck with your job search!