Employer: White Trees Group
Location: Bishop’s Stortford
Job Type: Permanent
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Title: Graduate Tutor
Reports to: Site Lead
Contract Type: Full time, permanent
Location: Bishops Stortford / Coggeshall / Gaston Green
Salary: £27,000 – £33,000
Additional £1,000 Welcome Bonus
Main Purpose of the Role
The main purpose of a Tutor is to ensure the effective learning of their pupil being taught, whether that’s within classroom environment in a classroom setting or out in the community. Tutors are also required to contribute to the wider success of the school. All tutors are allocated a 1:1 pupil or an identified group/class who they are responsible for providing effective pastoral care to support their social and emotional progress as well as their learning. They are also required to contribute and be involved in extracurricular activities and the wider life of the school community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils by:
- Establishing a safe and stimulating environment for pupils, engrained in mutual respect
- Setting goals that stretch and challenge ALL pupils
- Demonstrating consistently the positive attitudes, values and behaviour which are expected of pupils – leading by example.
Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils by:
- Being accountable for the attainment, progress and outcomes of the pupil you teach/support
- Being aware of your pupils’ capabilities and their prior knowledge, and plan teaching to build on these, wrapping the curriculum around the individual pupil.
- Guiding your pupil to reflect on the progress they have made and their emerging needs
- Demonstrating knowledge and understanding of how pupils learn and how these impacts on teaching
- To report and record pupil’s attainment, progress and results of assessments within the school’s recording and reporting structure.
- Use data and records to set aspirational targets and plan challenging activities.
Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge by:
- Having a good knowledge of the relevant subject(s) and curriculum areas, utilising and maintaining pupils’ interest in the subject(s), and addressing misunderstandings
- Demonstrating a critical understanding of developments in the subject and curriculum areas
- Demonstrating an understanding of and taking responsibility for promoting good standards of literacy, articulacy and the correct use of standard English, whatever the tutor’s specialist subject applying cross curricular links where ever possible in planning and teaching.
Plan and teach well-structured lessons by:
- Imparting knowledge and developing understanding through effective use of lesson time
- Promoting a love of learning
- Reflecting systematically on the effectiveness of lessons and approaches to teaching, working collaboratively with the class teacher
- Contributing and supporting the design and provision of an engaging curriculum within the relevant subject area(s), and/or within a pupil’s individual scheme of work.
Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils by:
- Knowing when and how to differentiate appropriately, using approaches which enables your pupil to be taught effectively
- To set clear learning objectives, writing Schemes of work, medium term planning and short-term planning
- Ensure the pupil whom you teach have their Individual Learning Programmes updated in line with the school systems
- Having a secure understanding of how a range of factors can inhibit our pupils’ ability to learn, and how best to overcome these – Following strategies/interventions designed by our Wellbeing team
- Demonstrating and awareness of the physical, social and academic development of children and knowing how to adapt teaching to support our pupils’ education at different stages of their development and emotional state
Make accurate and productive use of assessment by:
- To mark, assess and return pupils’ work in line with school Evidence for Learning system, providing constructive oral and written feedback with clear targets and guidance for future improvement.
- Making use of formative and summative assessment to secure pupils’ progress
- Using relevant data to monitor progress, set targets, and plan subsequent lessons
- Giving pupils regular feedback, both orally and through accurate marking, and encouraging them to respond to the feedback
Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment by:
- Having clear rules and routines for behaviour in classrooms, and taking responsibility for promoting good and courteous behaviour both in classrooms and around the school
- Having high expectations of behaviour, using our behaviour wave system accordingly to help support our pupils, embracing the culture of ‘catching our pupils being good’
- Lead by example – show our pupils what we expect from them, positive behaviour and good manners
- Maintain good relationships with pupils, exercise appropriate authority, and act decisively when necessary
Contribute to self-evaluation by:
- Contributing to the completion of the current school evaluation processes as required
Professional development and performance appraisal:
- Attend all CPD days and training as required
- Review own professional development and identify training needs
- Take part in the school’s performance appraisal programme and be committed to improving own practice
- Act upon advice and feedback and be open to coaching and mentoring
Fulfil wider professional responsibilities by:
Make a positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the school
developing effective professional relationships with colleaguesTaking responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, respon
How to Apply
Click on the APPLY NOW button. You will be re-directed to the advertiser of the vacancy where you can submit your job application.
Note to Job Seekers:
Apply for this job vacancy via the GovernorHelp job board today. You can find other jobs in Bishop’s Stortford with our simple job search features. Don’t forget to follow GovernorHelp on Twitter. GovernorHelp is here to provide help for school governors and support for education leaders. Remember to try our helpful G-Bot chatbot tool which helps you answer your governance questions and save time on your admin tasks. Thanks for using GovernorHelp and good luck with your job search!